China Relocation: Immigration Re-Registration Requirements
Posted by: Fabiana Hershfield, Supply Chain Manager
Effective immediately, companies in Beijing who sponsor foreign national employees are advised to re-register with the local Exit and Entry Administration. Failure to do so may impact applications filed with the local Public Security Bureau (PSB).
Registration: Employers register by providing the required documents to the PSB. Employers will only have to re-register once in order to update the company’s current registration in the new electronic PSB system introduced in December 2017, which has replaced the registration books issued by the PSB.
Required Documents: The documents required for re-registration include:
- A completed Company Information Sheet (please contact your Fragomen immigration professional for assistance in completing this form), and
- A copy of the employer’s Business License.
Immediate registration required: Employers who do not have PSB registration books, or whose registration books have expired, will need to re-register immediately.
Registration prior to registration book expiry: Employers whose registration books are still valid can continue to file applications with the Exit and Entry Administration, but will need to complete re-registration prior to its expiry.
Impact on employers
All employers are encouraged to re-register immediately, even if their PSB registration books are still valid, in order to avoid any unexpected complications or delays when filing foreign national employees’ Residence Permits and related applications with the Exit and Entry Administration. Since the registration system is now electronic, employers will not have to undergo an annual review of their registration books.
Fragomen China will closely monitor whether this company re-registration requirement will be implemented in other cities and provide updates once available.
© 2018 Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP, Fragomen Global LLP and affiliates. All Rights Reserved. This alert is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or give rise to an attorney-client relationship between you and Fragomen Worldwide. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen Worldwide.
Cartus Recommendations for Relocation Managers
In light of the measures outlined above, Cartus recommends that relocation managers:
- Review with your immigration provider the expected impact to your company for the re-registration requirement in Beijing.
- Confirm with your immigration provider when to register at the Beijing PSB. Usually, the registration needs to be done at the same time when the employee’s next residence permit/visa application is submitted. There is no deadline for the registration if no residence/visa application will be submitted soon.
- The registration will be finished immediately after the document and information is provided.
The new registration process is basically the information update to Beijing PSB. The process is easy and fast and your immigration provider can ask for the required information before the first application is submitted in PSB.